Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Who am I going to work with?

Profound joy of the heart is like
A magnet that indicates the path of life.
- Mother Teresa


One of the things that counselors have to do is decide what population of people they want to work with. The standards are Couples, Marriage, Family therapy, Addictions, grief counseling, PTSD, mental health, severe mental health issues etc. This is not to say that you are only going to work with one set of people this is to say that you will try to have your internships at locations serving these people, you might take more educational classes after your masters, take as many seminars as you can about this population etc in an effort to REALLY know this population in essence specialize.

Yet as I sit here in the beginning of my program I am interested in just about all of the above, seriously. I wonder at my ability to work with those who suffer from addictions but I took several courses in my undergrad program with an instructor who worked with this population and had for over 20 years and she herself had never had an addiction. I honestly think I would be good working with people who suffer from addictions but I do question my ability. I have personal reasons for being interested in grief counseling and I feel drawn to working with soldiers and their families who are suffering from PTSD and all the rest are about the same.



So what population do I want to work with? Check back in a year because I honestly do not know! I am hoping that with my own personal growth throughout my program that I will have a more definitive answer towards the end but I will revisit the topic a few times I am sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment