Monday, February 13, 2012

Counseling Programs Part 2


If you missed part one of this post you can find it here or just scroll down on my blog page. So we already covered that you should choose a Cacrep accredited program and I briefly explained why in post one so if you interested in that read post one. On this post I thought I would link you guys to a few schools that have both traditional on campus program and a few schools that have online programs.

Just in case some of you do not know me I am currently doing my Masters through an online program. My choice for online was pretty much dictated by my husbands work as we travel around the United States for his job. So online was my only option at this time and I did not want to wait to complete my program.

Again you can search the Cacrep board and find programs fairly easily by state. For this purpose I am going to use a few colleges that I either looked into or have heard about and in this post I am going to stick to Cacrep accredited programs. Let's do the online programs first since I know the most about these.


There are only 3 online programs in Mental Health Counseling that are Cacrep approved that I know anything about there are a few others but I do not personally know anything about them. It looks like according to the CACREP website there are a total of 5 schools that offer online counseling degrees that are approved by CACREP.

1. Walden University- Offers a Masters in Mental health Counseling. No personal experience with this college but I have heard both good and bad things about it. My main problem with Walden is that it is for profit and very costly. The Mental health Program will run you about $38,000 not including books and other supplies or the required residencies that they have which run about $1,500.00 each plus travel, lodging and meals so most likely closer to about $2500.00 for a grand total of about $43,000.00.

2. Adams State College- Offers a Masters in Clinical Mental Health Counseling. This is my program so naturally I have nothing but good things to say about it. I choose this program mainly for 2 reasons....not for profit and the least costly option. This program will cost about $23,000 in tuition plus the cost of 2 required intensives (one in each summer of your program). They offer you the option to stay in the dorms for the intensives so it is safe to say you can do the intensive for about $800-1000.00. The grand total of this program would be about $25,000. If you want to know more about this program you can contact me or contact Adams State!

3. Capella University- Masters in Mental Health Counseling. Again no personal experience with Capella and same as Walden I have heard of people who really like their programs and some that hate it. My problem with Capella is the same as with Walden..for profit and very costly. The cost for Capella is going to run you about the same as Walden.

If you are curious as to all the online CACREP schools please go to the CACREP online school search here.
So there you have it. There are a few other Cacrep programs in counseling and you can view them here as a few colleges offering various specialties in counseling such as marriage and family.

There will be a part three to discuss traditional programs!

20 comments:

  1. Allie,
    There are traditional schools that are CACREP certified and offer their courses on line.
    REGENT UNIVERSITY in Va Beach is a faith based school..... also I just noticed ULM offers an online CACREP program so do others

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kat,

    You are correct about Regent however I don't see the other you mentioned on the CACREP website. I will edit my post to include Regent and put a direct link to the search for online schools! Thanks for that correction :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I stummbled across your blog in my own search for an online only MH Masters program. Adams State has come across my radar and I wonder if you would be willing to provide any additional information about your experience in the program. Is it a 2 year program only, or can it be stretched out longer based on personal preference (for instance I work f/t)?

    Additionally, have you had any experience working with the school regarding identifying practicum/internship options? I live in Oregon and have a professional relationship with a licensed counselor who volunteered to be my counselor. Thanks so much for this and any other additional information you think may be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nate,

    Sure! I would be willing to provide you some info. If you want to email me we can email back and fourth for you to get the info you're seeking. I will tell you that I am traveling for the next 2 days and so I will respond but it will be in the evenings the next few days. You can email me at allie at @ ourtownusa dot . net

    Allie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great, thank you. I sent off an email but I see that you've been quite busy lately. Wish you the best on your transition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Allie. I am scheduled to start classes this fall at Adams and was wondering how you liked the program thus far and if you have any tips/pointers. Thanks!

    Jessie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent a year at Adams toward school counseling, but felt there were some basic abuses happening there. Some very good faculty, some good students, but overall not quality-focused, and the program is bringing in so many people online and on-campus that they don't do as good a job as they really should. Fundamentally you better learn to kiss ass and cover your ass, because they are quite self-important with fragile egos. Counseling is the ultimate SOFT SCIENCE so just parrot what they want, don't challenge or they will get their feelings hurt. I lost hope in several professors and the dept chair there who lacked integrity and avoid accountability. They are making a lot of money the easiest way. Most of my cohort agreed the program is a mess, but play the game and you'll make it. IS it worth it? Good Luck, Mike

      Delete
    2. Mike I have spent the last year there and I would have to disagree with what you have said. What years did you attend and who was facility chair (you can leave initials if you don't want to call them out)?

      Delete
    3. Mk,
      I am a student at Adam's as well and it seems prone to the pitfalls and shortcomings of any school. I do see places for improvement and some teachers I just do not work with very well but have had this issue in other schools.

      Delete
  7. University of Massachusetts has an online program and there are other not for profit institutions as well. NAU offers online /hybrid program.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lizabaker,

    Capella is a big known online only school but I personally don't feel like they are the best. I would encourage anyone looking for an online only option to check into local state colleges as it is pretty easy to find one that offers online only degrees. Capella and a host of other schools are for profit schools and I personally avoid those.

    ReplyDelete
  10. . On this post I thought I would link you guys to a few schools that have both traditional on campus program and a few schools that have online programs. online counseling degrees

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello
    I would like to find out more about Adams State and your experience. Please message me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing on this topic. How is the Quarter/Semester set-up at Adam's? I know Capella/Walden have approximately 10 week courses for 4 quarters a year. What course load is considered FT at Adams? Also, how do they handle the Comprehensive Exam with the online learners? Thanks for alerting me to other options because Walden and Capella seem ridiculously expensive in contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd love to hear how about the remainder of your experience at Adam's, as I am trying to decide if that is the right place for me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete