Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Sea Inside

For my ethics class we had to watch the movie The Sea Inside which recaps the story of a man Ramon Sampedro and his campaign for his right to die. Ramon was a quadriplegic who for almost 30 years has wanted to exercise his right to die after becoming paralyzed because of an accident. I was honestly surprised that I enjoyed the movie as much as I did considering it was subtitled and I seriously hate subtitled movies. My husband watched it with me and I think he enjoyed it as well. It covers a seriously touchy subject in such a beautiful way. Sounds corny I know but it really does. I am trying to not give away many details about the film just in case you want to watch it yourself ;)


My assignment was to write a reaction paper and touch on the ethical dilemmas that were present in the movie for a counselor. I am not going to go through all of those but I am going to talk a little bit about assisted suicide and a person's right to choose. Is there ever a right situation in which it should be okay to assisst someone in committing suicide and in doing this should safeguards be in place to keep these people from legal ramifications? Is there ever a right situation to where a counselor (or other professional) should not assist with suicide but not really do anything to prevent a person from exercising their right to chose if they live or die? Is it our right to chose when we die?

As you can tell this movie left me with some questions that I honestly don't intend to answer right now. I am going to process for a little while so look for another post in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment