Sunday, January 15, 2012

Values

Photo provided by Google search :)


One of the things that is recommended for beginning counseling students is to take stock of their own values and beliefs and how these values and beliefs can affect their clients in a counseling relationship. Naturally a counselor can influence their clients in both healthy and unhealthy ways and one way to do so in an unhealthy way is by trying to impart their values and beliefs onto their clients.

Counselors/Therapist ( I use the word interchangeably) have to begin working on knowing exactly what their values/beliefs are the minute they begin their educational counseling program. Even if you think you know what they are I guarantee that something will come up and surprise you so it is important even if you think you know to take stock many times throughout your program. Often students will begin a program and not really know what their values/beliefs are and for these students it is even more important that they figure this out or it could create some very sticky situations when dealing with clients.

Here is a great website that has a HUGE list of values. It encourages you to print off the list and place a mark by the ones that "speak" to you. I briefly scanned the list and below is a short list of a few values that speak to me.

Acceptance
Accomplishment
Ambition
Balance
Bravery
Commitment
Determination
Education
Family
Gratitude
Kindness
Love
Open minded
Organization
Reflection
Selflessness
Strength
Truth
Understanding
Wisdom

Of course this list is not all inclusive but it is some of the most important to me. The reason for this post is because I intend to start looking at how my personal values/beliefs can have an impact on my future clients. I pride myself on being a very open and understanding person but I am sure that there will come a day when this may not be the case and of course this is when I will have to work to make sure that my values and beliefs do not get in the way of my counseling relationship with clients.

So looking at that list what are some of your values? Do you see any that if you are working to become a counselor that could impact that relationship?

No comments:

Post a Comment