Monday, January 23, 2012

Friendships

I have had many friends along the years but only a handful I can truly say are my really good friends. Yesterday I had an " argument" with a friend in an online format no less I had to stop and ask myself exactly what our friendship even was and sadly we have lived apart for the last 10 years and have grown apart. I have known it for a long time now. Things have been different for years as I think we simply grew apart from a lack of nurturing the friendship we had established before we moved apart.



As I am sitting here after this fight I wonder if there was something that I did to cause us to drift apart or if it simply was the miles between us and the fact that we basically live separate lives. It tests everything you know about yourself as a person when someone you have known for over 10 years slowly stops making an effort to be your friend. Maybe it was me, maybe it was her, maybe it was circumstance, the fact is our friendship is not the same and on a deeper level that makes me sad. Sad because this person was someone I have always felt connected to and someone who I felt understood me. It is hard to find friends who really "get" you and she is one of those people.

In my own personal discovery I have decided to stop making efforts where none is reciprocated. I have to do this for my own well being. So if you are a friend of mine and you are reading this post, a friendship is a two way street and it needs to be driven on from both sides if it is going to work and if it ever gets turned into a one way street I will stop driving down it.

This story has a happy ending as the fight was actually good for us! We talked and aired a few things that should have been said years ago and it seems to have made a huge difference and we are back to talking again :). I just want to tell her that I do appreciate our friendships and that I am glad we are talking again.

No comments:

Post a Comment