Wednesday, December 28, 2011

I just came across this headline

As I am Googling to try to find more students who are blogging about their experience in a counseling program I came across an article of a student who is in a graduate counseling program in Georgia. The article talks about how this student is basically saying she should be allowed to stay in her current counseling program even though she believes it is okay to discriminate against LGBT clients because of her religion. Seriously?

Can you imagine if all counselors were allowed to discriminate against clients just because of their religion or various other reasons and I am sure people would come up with them. I have to ask myself why in the world this student believes she is a good fit to become a counselor? When I think of counselors I think of people who are compassionate, empathetic, understanding and lastly non judgmental, not counselors who are prepared to impart their views and values upon clients because of their religion and beliefs.

Again I say why does this woman believe she is fit to be a counselor? I am so glad that the state has decided to uphold the ruling of the college and frankly I wish the college would dismiss her period because this is one person the world would be better off to not have helping those who are vulnerable.

No comments:

Post a Comment