Tuesday, December 27, 2011

A head start on reading (counseling theories)

I start my first round of my courses in about 3 weeks. My program places students within a cohort to move through the program so my courses and when I take them is already laid out for me. Once I got accepted into the program I was sent information with what courses I would be taking when as well as a book list for the upcoming courses. I ordered 2 of my 4 books about 2 weeks ago and started reading.

I like to get a head start on reading even though I do not have the course materials to go along with the reading. One of my courses is Theory and practice of counseling. For anyone who has been or is in a counseling program you know what this course is. It lays out the MANY counseling theories that counselors can decide they want to practice with. There are MANY and as an aspiring counselor it can be overwhelming to begin reading and thinking about what theoretical orientation you are going to aline yourself with. Are you going to go with Alder? Skinner? Rogers? A combination of many?

As I sit and read through the first 8 chapters I am beginning to feel like I am leaning towards certain theories that I feel best fit with my goals in becoming a therapist. Having said this though I know already that all of these theories offer something to a beginning therapist and that we (counseling students) have to make sure we understand each and every one of them and how we can apply them in various counseling situations. What works with one client may not work with another and even if we find ourselves drawn to a certain theory we should be careful to place emphasis on others even if they are not naturally attractive to us.

As counselors in training it should be our mission to learn about each theory and what they can teach us about our interaction with future clients. Even if one theory is so attractive to us that we just know we want to base the majority of our working with clients on this theory we have to keep an open mind and learn the others because that theory whatever it may be will not work for every client.

So align yourself with a theory but be careful to remain open to the teachings the rest have to offer so that you can become the best counselor you can be and are not limited in your ability because you neglected the many theories and options open to counseling students.

No comments:

Post a Comment